Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Lifting Oil

Although Tuesday is our scheduled pick-up day from the Mexican restaurant, we agreed to help a friend with her booth at the Kentucky State Fair this evening. Since I needed to carry a bunch of stuff to work I drove the grease mobile today but planned to switch off with Craig and take the scooter after we left the fair. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my helmet and I married a guy with a big head. Since it was already 10:00 when I escaped the fairground traffic I just decided to pick up the grease myself and save the big headed guy an extra trip. Sure enough when I arrived at the restaurant there were two 5-gallon jugs of WVO sitting outside the back entrance waiting for my arrival. Although we've never actually weighed our WVO, a gallon of water weighs 8.33 lbs so even with water being heavier than oil, when you factor in the canisters themselves, I think it's safe to assume that each container weighed around 40 lbs. One at a time I lifted both jugs into the back of the car, mentally chalking this up as my weight-training session for the week. As my luck would have it just as soon as I finished the task a restaurant employee exited the building. Despite the language barriers I understood him to comment on my late arrival and the fact that they've come to depend on our weekly visits. I tried to assure him that I just had another commitment earlier in the evening and reiterated our gratitude for their supply of oil. Perhaps in addition to increasing my workouts at the gym I should look into a Spanish language course.

No comments: